Keine Chance für Nazi-Propaganda und Rassismus in diesem Forum! #noafd #nopegida

Common plant family properties

Wer eine Frage zur Botanik im Allgemeinen hat, kann sie hier stellen!

Moderatoren: akw, Jule

Forumsregeln
Bildanhänge für Themen und neue Beiträge dürfen nicht größer als 800 x 600 sein, ansonsten funktioniert der Upload nicht!
Antworten
BubikolRamios1

Common plant family properties

Beitrag von BubikolRamios1 » 27.07.2020, 16:44

based on this:
http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/PlantFamilyID.html
Basically, if there is claimed that for instance XY plant family has woody plants in it, it does not mean that whole plant family is woody.
Means some species in it are certainly and the other might not be woody inside that family.
So you end up selecting a lot of properties hoping that you will get very limited if not (hardly) single family as result.
Practicaly useless by my opinion. But I have seen some data potential there:
1. Woody plants (excl. suffrutices)
2. Herbaceous plants (incl. suffrutices)
here 1 directly negates 2 and vice versa , so if one family is marked as punched in 1 and not punched in 2 ... That should mean that whole family 1 contains no herbaceous species . All species inside family 1 are woody. Read last paragraph a couple of times (-:

There are cases where multiple properties negates single property .... Prepared a few examples.
Look at javascript source code if you like and want to add buttons with logical selection by yourself.Templates are self explainable.

http://agrozoo.net/test/test20.html In resulting families all species have that property.

Certatin buttons does not produce anything. That is logically OK.

Comments, bug reports (I should think none as I tested it a lot) ...

Marlies

Re: Common plant family properties

Beitrag von Marlies » 30.07.2020, 18:53

BubikolRamios1 hat geschrieben:
27.07.2020, 16:44
All species inside family 1 are woody.
That's probably right (I haven't checked all your results). But what is the sense in knowing, which families have only woody species inside? It's not helpful to identify an unknown plant ...

Anagallis

Beitrag von Anagallis » 30.07.2020, 19:25

I think the idea is that you have a plant with property xyz and identified it as some species. The property xyz was not necessary to get to the supposed species. Then you can select all known properties in the punch card system to double check whether the species' family is really an option.

For example, if you have some grass and keyed it out to Gingko, then selecting "herbaceous" removes the family Gingkoaceae from the list of possible families and you can see that something went wrong.

The system seems to be aiming at people who have no knowledge of possible species' but are good at plant anatomy and botanical language - which seems a weird combination to me. Maybe helpful if you have to identify a plant with completely unknown origin.

BubikolRamios1

Beitrag von BubikolRamios1 » 30.07.2020, 20:41

Marlies hat geschrieben:
30.07.2020, 18:53
BubikolRamios1 hat geschrieben:
27.07.2020, 16:44
All species inside family 1 are woody.
That's probably right (I haven't checked all your results). But what is the sense in knowing, which families have only woody species inside? It's not helpful to identify an unknown plant ...
If you can translate families into all known speacies in db.

If you have a plant and see it is not woody, then you can exclude all that are woody (if you have data which are those). Of course with help of programaticaly build key.
With combination of other properties you can get near species.

example:
woody,5 petals: http://agrozoo.net/jsp/Galery.jsp?p1=|_ ... 0000|en|||
not woody, 5 petals: http://agrozoo.net/jsp/Galery.jsp?p1=|_ ... 0000|en|||

If something looks wrong in results, it has to be checked why and if really wrong data has to be repaired.

Antworten